Monday, April 22, 2013

Too much green stuff

I made some delicious (that is one hard word to spell right) soup tonight. The kids all had seconds, my husband response? To much green stuff.

The green stuff was kale, which is supposed to be really good for us. We're (I am) trying to grow some in our garden this year. They are growing beautifully.

No lie, kale taste pretty bad raw. It is way better boiled in soup.



Usually when I make soup it tastes bland, and I pour a ton of salsa into it. This batch actually taste good all on it's own. With my cooking expertise, of course.

First I started with a carton of Swanson chicken broth, 8 cups of water, and 2 things of Knorr Vegetable homestyle stock. Both of which I got from couponing. Really any type of broth/stock would work.

I make my soup with a stew like consistency,  otherwise my husband says it reminds him of Iraq, and he dosen't like to eat it..

In the broth I added two cups of barley, five stalks of celery, some frozen shredded carrots, and a bunch of seasoning. I tried to add potatoes, but my kids begged me not to. Besides the fact that they hate potatoes, I didn't want to deal with the boiling time so I left them out. While the barley was boiling, I started boiling 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (BSCB) in enough water to cover them.

For seasonings I added, rosemary, thyme, basil, 3 big bay leaves, oregano, onion salt, and a whole bunch of mince garlic.

I let it boil until the barley started coming to the top, then I added some cabbage and kale. I tried to add some asparagus (Aldi has awesome prices on veggies) but the boys seen me and started yelling Noo!!! I said it's potatoes or asparagus, you have to pick one.

Either they like potatoes more than asparagus, or they knew that potatoes take forever to cook. I personally think it was the later.  They unanimously chose that potatoes would be better than that nasty asparagus. Well they won that battle, I wasn't about to put potatoes in and wait for them to soften.

 By then the chicken was done. I threw the water that I boiled the chicken in to soup mixture, and the chicken into my silver kitchen aid mixing bowl.

I love this part of the kitchen aid, and honestly probably use it most often. you put the BSCB in the bowl, the white padle onto the mixer, make sure the miser is locked in place and turn on. Thank you Pinterest, that tip is most useful.

I threw half the mixture into the in the pot, and I put the other half into a freezer bag, and into the freezer for a future meal. I then added some more minced garlic, salt, and pepper to the pot. I lt it boil for about 20 minutes, for the kale to get soft and the seasonings to steep some more.

I think it turned out great, so did the kids. I would be suspicious of their motives, because I didn't include potatoes and asparagus, but they asked for seconds. So I must have cooked some awesome soup. 7 year olds don't ask for seconds of bad food.

No comments:

Post a Comment